Monday 11 May 2009

Go Jump Off A Cliff

Yesterday For Mothers Day my family watched me jump off a cliff, backwards - commonly known as abseiling. It was one of those things that had been on my "Must Do Before I Die" list.

At the top it was OMG why am I doing this !!! The first few steps were the hardest, just getting started. After that it was fairly easy going. Then I had to climb back to the top of the cliff to do it again. Up was worse than down - once I had gotten past the first initial leap of faith to get down.

In a way it was kind of anticlimatic because it was so easy. I had built it up in my head to be a lot more of a challenge. Even though it was a lot of fun.

So what lessons did I learn:

* Things are easier when you are already moving in the right direction

* The first few steps are the doozies - once they are out of the way the rest of the journey can be fast, fun and fabulous

* To achieve a goal does not always have to involve a struggle or challenge, just a step out of my comfort zone

* New things can be enjoyable and easy when taught by people who are passionate about what they are doing - learn from their experience rather than your mistakes (it's a lot less painful)

Would I do it again? Yeah maybe. The best bit was that Jess, my 9 year old daughter was there watching and she said she would like to try it. So I guess showing her that it's good to do things even if you are a bit (or a lot) scared is leading her by example. Maybe next time will be with her. It would certainly give the instructor a challenge to get her past the first few steps. I know how hard it is to get her out of her comfort zone when she doesn't want to do it for herself. She is like me - too stubborn for our own good at times.
Watch that first step


Just hangin' around


I Did It!!


"All things are difficult before they are easy"
Thomas Fuller (1608-1661)
English historian
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
Go Jump Off A CliffSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment