Thursday 25 February 2010

A little help from my friends


Do you want to succeed in life? If you are like the majority of us, you will answer yes to this question. I know that success means different things to each of us. And after struggling with procrastination and self-doubt, I have found that one of the quickest ways to success in whichever area that excites you, is to find a mentor to learn from.

A mentor can be anybody that has already succeeded in the area that you want to. They can be personally known by you, somebody that you can question about their habits, beliefs and attitude or someone that you can read about, in fact it is anybody that you can learn from.

If you want to be a successful athlete, copy the best in the field. What have they done, on a day-to-day basis to achieve all they have? Or it could be in the area of finances, career, relationships... anything. My point is that we don't have to reinvent the wheel, if someone has done what you want to become, it is possible. They have shown you and the world that. So use their knowledge and learning to get on the fast track to success. Let them make the mistakes for you so you don't have to go through the pain or stress of finding out what doesn't work.

As a small business owner, I currently have a number of mentors, friends and coaches that I work with so that I don't have to do all the hard work. I have found that help is usually just a matter of asking. Occasionally, I pay for their services and find that the results come back to me ten-fold. Or I will attend seminars to learn from experts in the areas that I need assistance in or enjoy learning more about.

I also have the great privilege to be a mentor for a group of teenagers. The rewards that come from this are enormous. To help someone grow and travel further along their path to success is very inspiring. I have found that it becomes a two way relationship that also allows me to grow and learn as well.

We all need help at times, and the easiest way to receive it is to ask someone who has been there and done that. And then be open to advice and assistance. The challenge in all this is that YOU still have to do the work in order to become a success. You can learn all the great habits, beliefs and attitudes in the world and unless you put them in action nothing will go forward.

So my questions for you are:

1. Who do you know who is doing what you want to do, or is what you would like to be?

2. What do they do, on a daily basis, that makes them a success?

3. Why aren't you doing it too?

4. When are you going to start doing it?

If that sounds simple, well it is! As I said before, the challenge comes in the follow through and taking action. Go on try it and soon you will be on your journey to success because anything is possible with just a little help from our friends
A little help from my friendsSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment