Thursday 15 April 2010

Ability



What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters
compared to what lies within us
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Most of us have a reasonable idea of what we think our talents are. They are the things that usually we enjoy doing, and therefore put more effort into and give more attention to. I had a thought though that i want to share.... if we focus on improving our talents does that limit ourselves to finding other gifts within ourselves?

Because I have done a reasonable amount of personal development courses and seminars, I feel that I know my talents fairly well. I also know that I never what to stop learning and growing. And because of that I am open to all kinds of new experiences. I admit at times I have thought 'what the hell am I doing?' but at least I can say that I have tried it. If you try it and struggle with it, or don't enjoy the activity - fine!! consider why and what lessons you can take from it. I encourage you though, to not limit yourself because you think that you might fail or it's just "not you". How do you know until you have a go? Who knows you might love it, be an exceptionally amazing natural at it. And if you don't try then you will miss out.

Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do
John Wooden

People become really remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things.
When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success.
Norman Vincent Peale

There is also the other side that when you attempt to focus on too many things then you will never master any of them. This is true as well. The challenge is becoming successful or mastering something that have a passion for while still being open to new experiences that could lead you on an exciting new path.

I belief that it is our right to develop our talents to the limit of our potential. Usually this will lead to both success and happiness. You might think that your talent is small and insignificant, yet if taken to the limits you will find that it will turn into something remarkable. If you need an example, consider Richard Branson's love of music that become the foundation of his Virgin Music empire.

Everyone has talent.
What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the place where it leads.
Erica Jong

I know that I have a talent for photography, something that I love and am fortunate enough to have a career in. I am still working on mastering it and have had the privilege of sharing my knowledge and skills with others. I am now currently working on a way to combine this talent with another one that I have recently been developing, that of writing so that I can accomplish one of my purposes in life - that of creating and sharing beauty and wisdom with others.

The biggest roadblock that I am finding is my own fears and doubts and need to continually remind myself of one of my all time favourite quotes.

Whether you believe you can do a thing, or you believe you can't,
you're right!!!
Henry Ford

So to finish up for today I ask you to have a think about what talents do you possess that you are not taking to the limits and also what have you got planned that is new and exciting??

With hugs and happiness XO :)





AbilitySocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment